Most of the web developers found them self working in SSH mode without any IDE, i`m working in this mode over 2 years and found VIM my best friend.
Its not a standard editor, in your first time and the second you will damn him and me for this advice but very its will be your best friend.
History of vim (wikipedia)
Vim is a text editor written in 1988 by Bram Moolenaar for the Amiga computer, but first released publicly (v1.14) in 1991. It was based on an earlier editor, Stevie, for the Atari ST, created by Tim Thompson, Tony Andrews and G.R. (Fred) Walter[original research?]. The name “Vim” is an acronym for “Vi IMproved” because Vim is an extended version of the vi editor, with many additional features designed to be helpful in editing program source code. Originally, the acronym stood for “Vi IMitation”, but that was changed with the release of Vim 2.0 in December 1993. A later comment states that the reason for changing the name was that Vim’s feature set surpassed that of vi.
- When you enter you are in read mode, if you want to start write text press i.
- use ‘Esc’ button to exit each mode
- save & quit: press ‘Esc’ to exit write mode than for save only press :w and quite press :q, save & quite :wq and quite without saving :q!
- for search press / and the word to search: /something to search, use n for next
- for search and replace without confirm every replace: :%s/findme/replacewith/g with confirm :%s/findme/replacewith/gc
- for remove current line: dd
- undo last change u
This is the basics of VIM Editor.